Our mission is to live the Gospel together as one family in the Spirit as beloved disciples, missionaries who belong, believe, and become Good News.
There are many reasons to choose a dual language school. We feel some of the most important points can be broken down into the 5 C’s:
- Cognitive: Exercising the brain and improving focus
- Career: Increased opportunities when it comes time to enter the workforce
- College: Higher ACT & SAT scores, and increased academic success
- Cultural: Help your child maintain strong cultural and community bonds
- Catholic: Bilingualism has been a part of Catholic schools since the 1700’s
Check out this link, which contains information on the 5 C’s program and why dual language schooling can be of benefit to your child.
Our dual language program follows a 50/50 model focused on biliteracy development. This means that roughly half of instruction is in Spanish and half is in English.
Languages are divided by content area. Math instruction is in English K-5th grade.
All students, K-5th grade receive science and social studies in Spanish to help develop their Spanish literacy. At SMM, students also receive Religion in Spanish. This does not mean students will not learn math content in Spanish or science and social studies content in English. There are other opportunities throughout the day/week for children to learn vocabulary in both languages.
Our Graduate Support Program (GSP) started in 2013-14, and has expanded this year, with the hiring of a Graduate Support Program Director. The GSP offers preparation for our current students to succeed in high school, as well as support for our graduates to excel in high school and college (for a more detailed description of the GSP, see the attached Powerpoint). Each year, 8th graders, and sometimes 6th and 7th graders, receive such preparation.
Such preparation includes:
- HSPT Prep course once a week in the fall semester and into the spring semester, and a College Exploration course in the Spring
- Intensive HSPT workshop offered for free and on-site by St. Anthony High School
- One-on-one guidance for selecting a high school
- Class tours of Catholic high schools and individual shadow days at Catholic high schools
- One-on-one guidance for preparing academically for High School
- High School Panel where SMMS alumni currently attending and teaching in Catholic high school offered insights and advice for our students, as well as fielded questions about their experiences
- High School Fair where local Catholic High Schools visited our school with staff and students, and our 5th-8th graders were able to informally interview and be interviewed
- Help with applications for scholarships, including the Marianist Urban Student Program (MUSP) Scholarship through Central Catholic and the St. Joseph’s Scholarship
- Help with the full range of the application procedure for Catholic High Schools
- The cultivation of a college-bound culture through a College Corner, College dress days, college tours, and our stated goal of college and college signage in the school
HSPT Prep course once a week in the fall semester and into the spring semester, and a College Exploration course in the Spring.
Click here for more information.
The actual HSPT offered free and on-site here for students.
Sports activities for children: Basketball, Baseball and Softball.
For more information and registration, contact Laura Ramirez at 830-703-9684.
Group for people 60+ years old, meets every other Wednesday at 10:00 AM in Jubilee Hall for fellowship, fun, exercise and faith.
For more information, call Francis Portillo at 210-845-9469.
Spiritual coaching for married or divorced people.
We are a bilingual congregation.
A ministry with a reverence for all life. We give love and support to any women in desperate need that has small children, assisting them with diapers, toys, clothes, counseling and prayer.
For more information, contact Yolanda Pytel at 210-834-0847.
We build enriched spiritual relationships with fellow veterans by providing resources and assistance to strengthen their spiritual journey with Christ and develop a renewed spiritual transformation of life.