The Bexar County Community Health Collaborative (better known as The Health Collaborative) has developed into a powerful network of citizens, community organizations, and businesses. The result is a more robust, less duplicative, more synergistic approach to solving critical community health needs, while efficiently utilizing resources.
Our Mission: Improve the health status of the community through collaborative means.
- Enhance positive community health outcomes by leveraging appropriate resources.
- Play a leadership role in evaluating, developing, funding, and implementing health initiatives
- Increase the number of partners in The Health Collaborative
- Decrease duplication of health services in the community and promote coordinated efforts for the best possible community health outcome
- Adopt an appropriate community health improvement measurement system
- Dignity: Respect for the worth of every person, recognition and commitment to the value of diverse individuals and perspectives, and special concern for the poor and underserved.
- Integrity: Honesty, justice, and consistency in all relationships.
- Excellence: High standards of service and performance.
- Compassion: Service in a spirit of empathy, love, and concern.
- Stewardship: Wise and just use of talents and resources in a collaborative manner.
The Bexar Healthy Beverage Coalition (BHBC) strives to raise awareness and educate the community on just how much sugar is in the beverages we drink, as well as offer suggestions on how to pick healthier choices. Here in San Antonio and South Texas, thousands of families struggle with the twin epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Experts say that sugar-packed drinks contribute to these problems. They also raise the risk of heart disease, tooth and gum disease and more.
Click here for more information and to use our sugar calculator.
The Health Collaborative created Healthy Me/Healthy We for you and your family. Healthy Me is you making a personal decision to get healthy. It is your commitment to a longer, healthier life for yourself. And Healthy We? If this healthy eating and active living is new to you, you may do it best if you bring along a friend or family member. And certainly all of us want to see our loved ones in better health. But it goes far beyond that. As Healthy Me, you're also part of Healthy We-in your family, on your block, in your neighborhood or workplace, and as the movement grows, to all of San Antonio and Bexar County.
Your goal may be weight loss, toned muscles, or getting so healthy that your doctor tells you that you don't need medicine for diabetes or blood pressure. The Health Collaborative's goal is that you are healthy and lead the way for more and more of us to exercise, to watch what we eat, and to think about how the choices we make can help us enjoy a happy and healthy long life.
Community Health Workers, or Promotores de Salud, increase wellness by reaching out to, connecting with, and engaging underserved families and communities to help improve health outcomes for themselves, their families, and the communities in which they live.
Methodist Healthcare Ministries' Community Health Workers are certified by the Texas Department of State Health (DSHS).
- Establishing positive, trusting relationships with community residents in or from underserved communities.
- Helping patients/clients, families, and underserved communities overcome barriers in language and culture to better connect to quality health care services and resources.
- Connecting underserved populations to health care services and resources.
- Providing informal counseling, support, and follow-up home visits for patients/patients.
- Aiding in the creation and maintenance of community partnerships, collaborations, programs, and services.
Need Health Insurance? We can help - for free!
Click here or call us to make an appointment.
Support The Health Collaborative!
Without your commitment to community health in San Antonio and Bexar County, our mission, to improve the health status of the community through collaborative means, would not be possible. Thank you for your support!
For more information on how you or your organization can support The Health Collaborative, please click here.