Ministering to the formerly incarcerated was conceived in the heart of our Founder, John E. Mickel, Jr. After serving and driving hundreds of miles with the New Creation Christian Fellowship Prison Ministry team, he was troubled that there was not anything to keep men and women from returning to prison. The Lord begin to trouble him about doing something about it. He came up with a plan he and his wife, typed it out and presented it to his leaders and they blessed it. After this, he began to gather like-minded team members to help carry this plan out.
On March 26, 2013, John and Tiffany Mickel, founded Transforming Lives Through H.O.P.E. in their home. Founding members include Pearl Conyers, Carol Lee, Gayle King, Joe Howard, Edwin Gorham and Arthur Sanderson. From this gathering, the TLT H.O.P.E. team emerged and organized a successful outreach program for the formerly incarcerated.
TLT HOPE will help you transition back to society within 30 to 120 days.
We will provide temporary housing, transportation to public offices to help you secure necessary identification for employment and driving, a 3-day pre-employment workshop, job leads to 2nd chance employers, referrals to business professionals who can assist you in finding long-term housing, purchasing a vehicle, obtaining health insurance, arranging substance and alcohol abuse counseling, and opening a bank account.
The 3-Day Workshop will include the following classes: Budgeting, Entrepreneurship, Resume Writing, How to Dress for Success, Interview Practice, Work Skill Essentials, Caring for yourself Spiritually, Finding a Good Home, Purchasing a Vehicle, and Goal Setting.
After the 3-day Pre-employment Workshop, and with the approval of your parole officer, you can begin paid employment in a day-shift position.
We do accept those with GPS monitors.
Note: Our program cannot serve individuals with sex offense convictions, or those with mental health disorders, due to insurance requirements.
- Positive attitude to change for the better.
- You can only be employed on day shifts through suggested local felon friendly agencies which pays $700-900 weekly. After you move out then you can switch to a different job.
- We will only provide transportation to and from bus stop for employment.
- You will be required to save 40% of your income to help you meet the goal of self-sufficiency.
- You will be randomly drug and alcohol tested to keep our campus drug and alcohol free.
- You will undergo search of your belongings going in and out of our dorms when you get off of work.
- No sleeping all day on off days. Follow posted schedule.
- Non-prescription medications not allowed unless approved by staff.
After you have reached your goals, you can live where you want to live when you have your own house and transportation. We are here to help you meet your goals so that you don’t follow the same cycles that placed you in jail.
Click here to learn how to apply.
Click here to contact our Admission Coordinator.
We Need Your Help!
TLT HOPE can always use your help. Please look and see where your gifts and talents can be used to support our mission. After finding your niche, please feel out a volunteer application and we will get back with you.
- Grant Writers
- Strategic Planner
- Monthly Donors
- Letter Writing to Inmates
- Teachers to teach and support our classes
- Social Services
- Overnight Watchmen
- Day-Time Admin Support
- Drivers for Saturday Grocery Runs/Shopping
- Drivers for Daily Trips to Bus Stop and Appointments
Click here for volunteer application.