The 50 + group of St. Helena was established to launch six goals that address the dignity and concerns of the entire person, mind, and spirit:
Awareness: Establishing and fostering the role of older adults in the parish and community, providing training in leadership, promoting public relations, holding membership drives, and helping members recognize their talents and service potential for the parish and community.
- Continuing education: religious topics, health topics, crime prevention.
- Social/recreational activities: exhibits, talent shows, parties, bake sale dinners, older Americans month and covered dish lunches, games, bingo, cards, sports, picnics, crafts, and tours.
- Advocacy: keeping informed about political candidates on issues, voting at election time, writing letters to state and national legislators, etc.
- Encourage self-help and independence.
- Provide for the development of leadership and coordination among the seniors.
The 50+ group is an organization for, with, and by seniors; the group offers support services throughout the parish, the Archdiocese of San Antonio, and other agencies as may be available, possible, and appropriate.
We would like to have all seniors participate in the seniors program and need volunteers to fill all positions.