Members of the Bexar Hugs Auxiliary are primarily professional women who worked outside their home and volunteer evenings and Saturdays. Each member volunteers a minimum of 30 service hours per year to support their philanthropic programs and fundraising efforts.
The Bexar Hugs Auxiliary funds two programs and provides support to two chapter philanthropic programs:
- provides stuffed bears to the Bexar County Sheriff's Office and the Criminal Investigation Division to distribute to the children who are in need of comfort due to family issues.
- ALamo is a program in which duffel bags are prepared with personal care items and gender-specific toys and delivered to shelters for children who are in a transitional setting.
- In support of Operation School Bell, the Bexar Hugs purchase and assemble school boxes with basic supplies for elementary children. These members also assemble the personal care kits for the children.
- Bexar Hugs also fund a scholarship grant and enhanced learning grant.
- Each December, the Bexar Hugs provide outfits to the Togs For Tots program that their members have donated.
The Bexar Hugs Auxiliary members:
- staff the Assistance League Thrift House.
- dress students for Operation School Bell.
- work side-by-side with members on other Assistance League programs.
This is a volunteer opportunity.
Meetings are held at the AL Chapter House, 2611 West Avenue, on the second Tuesday of each month (except July). A social hour begins at 5:30 PM followed by a business meeting at 6:15 PM. Generally, there is an opportunity before the social hour and after the business meeting to work on philanthropic programs.